Saturday, August 16, 2008

One Word



Teresa called me at 915. I was doing Hatha Yoga practice, as I have for 40 years.
She knows I have no TV and don't listen to radio much.
"Turn on the radio. A plane just crashed into the Trade Center."
"A Cessna or Piper Cub?"
"A jet liner"
"Are you ok? Are you at work"
"Yeah I'm ok. I'm at work. Rob and Steve are ok."
By chance, I opened The Collected Works of William Butler Yeats to Meru, p. 157.

Civilisation is hooped together, brought
Under a rule, under the semblance of peace
By manifold illusion; but man's life is thought,
And he, despite his terror, cannot cease
Ravening through century after century,
Ravening, raging, and uprooting that he may come
Into the desolation of reality:
Egypt and Greece, good-bye, and good-bye, Rome!
Hermits upon Mount Meru or Everest,
Caverned in night under the drifted snow,
Or where that snow and winter's dreadful blast
Beat down upon their naked bodies, know
That day brings round the night, that before dawn
His glory and his monuments are gone.
1934

And the Towers fell.
I went out onto the front steps
looked out at the Church and the cemetery and said
'Welcome to Israel"
meaning, that in other places in the world, human beings are all on the front line
every day all day
and now we are too.
Lord have mercy.

The F/A - 18 Hornet is from "an official U.S. Navy web site. GILS Registration Number: 12879."
The Painting, Premonition July 2001 is mine.

No comments: